Fantastic podcast on language and mindfulness in everyday life. Beautiful part in the introduction about differentiation between Personal Uncertainty and Universal Uncertainty. People’s behaviour makes sense from their perspective, otherwise they wouldn’t have done it. The vocalization is often not called for, nor required, but makes each individual’s sense of order, stability, or what is right is acted upon greater than it is verbally communicated. Worth a listen!
- “Do you have a question?” “No, no! I’m breathing appreciatively.”
- Boomerism: “80 is the new 60.” Really nice discussion on the cultural shift in the perception of age.
- Great discussion on the drug known as “placebo” and how the focus has always been one of disappointment when the placebo does better than the drug in question.
- Discussion on the notion of “Evolution in Consciousness” at 23:20
- 1 + 1 does not always equal 2. If you take one wad of chewing gum and add it to one wad of chewing gum, you end up with, still, one wad of chewing gum. More is not the same as increasing.
- “Events don’t cause stress, what causes stress are the views you take of events.” 31:30
- The implications of public and civil life in the idea of personal mindfulness 42:50 – Disbelief in compromise as it is a loss instead of working through the win-win solution.
- “What it means to be human is to feel unique, but to recognize that everybody else is unique.” 45:55
Found via the blog, Brain Pickings, one of my favorite new finds on the internet.